Sunday, June 14, 2009

Caldecott Award Winning/Honor Books

Review #1 The Hello, Goodbye Window
By: Norton Juster
Illustrated By: Chris Raschka
2006 Caldecott Medal Winner


After reading this story, I do not think I will be able to look through a window in quite the same way again! This is an excellent story narrated through the eyes and imagination of a young girl visiting her grandparents’ house. I liked how the illustrator used vibrant, almost childlike scribbles to make the house and the window seem magical. I think because of the childlike images, this book would appeal to many young children. I liked how the book relates to what many young children might experience at their own grandparents’ house. I also enjoyed the relationship shown, in both the story line and illustrations, between the girl and her grandparents.
I think I liked this book so much because I related to how exciting and magical trips to grandparents’ houses can be. This book also reminded me of the days I would spend at my own grandparents’ house. I felt the magical appeal that the young girl feels in the story. It also reminded me of the relationship that I shared with my own grandparents as a young girl.


This book relates to the book Sourpuss and Sweetie Pie, which is the sequel to the Hello, Goodbye Window. In the sequel the bright, childlike illustrations come to life again when the young girl goes on another visit to her grandparents‘ house. This time the illustrations depict a child with conflicting moods. Both of these books, through the story lines and illustrations, relate to real-life experiences of young children.

After reading this book, I thought that this would be a wonderful book to introduce an unit about relationships with young children because it provides some children with real-life experiences to relate to.






Review#2
Zen Shorts
Written and Illustrated By: Jon J. Muth
2006 Caldecott Honor Book


This is a wonderful story that introduces young readers to a Zen approach to the world. In the book three siblings come across a panda bear sitting there back yard with an umbrella. The panda bear apologizes for arriving unannounced and tells the children that the wind carried his umbrella all the way from his backyard to their backyard. The next day each of the children individually visit the bear and learn his name is Stillwater. During each of the visits, Stillwater tells stories that illustrate Zen principles which relates to the children’s lives. The stories give the children a different perspective on the situation and help them see a different side. The title “Zen Shorts” refers to “short mediations” which are ideas or thoughts to think about. These stories and lessons usually have no goal, but they often challenge one to stretch the mind and think of ideas or concepts in a new light.

I enjoyed how the story used the Zen principles and stories to teach valuable lessons. This book also used rich tones and watercolors for the main story, but took a different approach when illustrating the Zen stories. The Zen lessons in the book are illustrated with thick black lines on pastel backgrounds. I also enjoyed that the children in the story could relate their own problems or situations to the Zen lessons and walk away with a different outlook.

I think I enjoyed reading this book with the Zen lessons intertwined into it because it reminded me of the stories my great aunt use to tell me when I was younger. When I was younger I didn’t quite understand the importance of the stories and lessons. Now looking back on the times I spent with her, I cherish the valuable life lessons that she shared with me.

This book compares to another book called Zen Ties written by the same author, Jon J. Muth. The author again integrates Zen principles into this story. He does a great job in his books of using situations and problems that most all children can relate but do not always know how to handle.

I think this book gives great insight to both children and adults. I learned that a simple story can challenge one to reexamine concepts or beliefs.

Review #3
Kitten’s First Full Moon
Written and Illustrated By: Kevin Henkes
2005 Caldecott Medal Winner


After reading Kitten’s First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes, I liked the simplistic nature of the book. The illustrations, text and story line flowed together through out the book. I found the black and white illustrations from the book to be luminous. There is also a bit of suspense and humor represented through out the story each time the kitten tries to reach for the big bowl of milk in the sky! I really enjoyed that this book was soothing to look at and read. This book was a refreshing break from the brightly colorful and busy images sometimes found in other children’s books.

I found this book to be very calming and comforting with its simple and subtle illustrations. This book takes place during the night when the moon is full and bright. I think because of the setting, along with the soothing nature of the book, I think of this book as a bedtime story.

This book is very different from the other books that Kevin Henkes has illustrated. He is known for his vibrant images in such books as Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse and Wemberley Worried. Henkes uses a new style of illustration with Kitten’s First Full Moon. While this book is different from Henkes other books from its illustrations, I think the simple story line does relate to his other books about overcoming life’s’ little obstacles.

This book has helped me learn to appreciate how unassuming images and text still offer valuable insight to life lessons.

Review #4
Olivia
Written and Illustrated By: Ian Falconer
2001 Caldecott Honor Book


This is one of my all time favorite children’s books. Olivia’s personality and antics remind me of the young children I teach. The story is about a young piglet’s busy adventures and her spirited and mischievous personality. I really enjoy how the author complements the simple text by using black, white and red illustrations. I think my favorite part of the book is when Olivia gets dressed and must try everything on. The illustrations show her in everything from a red bathing suit to a red sundress. The author does a great job in relating this book to young children.
I feel that this book really captures the spirit of young children. Every time I read this book I think of how much Olivia reminds me of the students I teach.
This book also reminds me of the Eloise books. In fact, I think Eloise and Olivia are quite similar. The authors of both these books were able to capture the essence of a young child.
Every time I read this book I reflect on the character traits of young children. I think what makes this book so extraordinary is the way children and adults both see themselves in the high-spirited little piglet named Olivia.


Review #5
So You Want to Be President?
Written By: Judith St. George
Illustrated By: David Small
2001 Caldecott Award Winner
This is book takes the history of the American Presidents, which sometimes can be a dry topic for students, and turns it into a fun filled adventure! This book, with its fact filled trivia, acts as a helpful guide for future presidential candidates. One of the main reasons why this book appeals to children is because the illustrations complement the story line. The story line has a humorous and witty tone that I think would appeal and relate to children learning about the Presidents. The text and illustrations, while full of information, are presented in a playful tone that would seem to interest children. I really like how this book takes a different approach in providing information to children.

I have a love of history that start at an early age thanks to my father. He was always trying to spark my interest in history by giving me biographies to read and discussing them to me. Some of the books I read as a child were hard and boring to read because of the way the information was and presented. I really enjoyed, So You Want to Be President? because the author and illustrator use a “kid friendly” approach in presenting sometimes dry information and images. I think this would be a great book to read aloud to students when introducing or reviewing the American Presidents. I think this book would have really sparked my interest in history better than the biographies I was given to read did.

There are other books such as, So You Want to Be an Inventor? and So You Want to Be An Explorer? that have the same premise as So You Want to Be President?. I think the author and illustrator in this book series have really provided information in a way that gets children motivated to read.

After reading this book, I really started to think about ways I introduce concepts and topics to my students. Books like, So You Want to Be President? are vital to use in the classroom in order to inspire children to become life long readers and learners.








No comments:

Post a Comment